children's Choir auditions
The Santa Clarita Children's Choir is open to children in the 1st grade through 12th grade.
For all singers grades 1-12! It's not to late to join the Santa Clarita Children's Choir and Concert Singers! All interested singers are welcome to join our first rehearsal/informational meeting THIS SUNDAY Sept. 18th at 5pm at Christ Lutheran Church in Valencia. Please email email@example.com for audition and additional information. We are in for an amazing season and I would love for you to be a part of it!
Singers will be expected to sing the first verse of "My Country 'Tis Of Thee".
Amadeus Intermediate Singers (treble choir) must demonstrate the ability to:
- Stay focused for an extended period of time
- Sing in tune
- Remember and sing short musical phrases
- Use head voice (high tones)
- Work willingly with the director and with a group of other children
- Read the English language with ease and comprehension
Concert Singers (mixed SATB youth choir) must have the above abilities. Additionally they need:
- Ability to read music and sing simple melodies at sight
- Experience singing in a choir with three or more parts
- Ability to study texts and music in foreign languages independently
- To be comfortable with all the contents of Book One of A Young Singer’s Journey
What happens during the audition?
You and your parent will meet a director(s). Then you will:
- Be asked to talk about your schooling and musical experience
- Be lead through simple warm-ups by the director
- Listen to and repeat some rhythms and musical phrases
- Sing one verse of either “My Country, Tis of Thee” or “America the Beautiful”
- Depending upon age and experience, sing some simple melodies at sight
How should I prepare?
- Learn one verse of one of the above songs
- It is suggested that you get a good night’s rest the night before and be well-hydrated
How do I arrange an audition?
- Visit www.scchildrenschoir.org and click on “Auditions" to find sign-up information
- A private audition time of approximately 8-10 minutes will be arranged with you
How often will I rehearse?
The choirs rehearse once a week from September through the beginning of June. Rehearsals include:
- voice training
- music theory
- music reading
When and where will I rehearse?
The choirs rehearse September through May at Christ Lutheran Church.
- Sundays 4:45-5:45pm Mozart Apprentice Singers, Director: Cara Kowalczyk
- Sundays 6:00-7:30pm Amadeus Intermediate Singers, Director: Angela Hicks
- Sundays 4:30-6:00pm SCCC Concert Singers, Director: Angela Hicks
If I am accepted how much will my tuition be?
Tuition for all choirs includes use of music and all rehearsal time. It is currently $400 per year for Concert Singers, $360 for Amadeus Singers and $260 for Mozart Singers. In addition, a SCCC Polo shirt (approximately $30) will need to be purchased for community performances and the Concert Singers will have an additional fee for uniforms (ranging between $40-$80). Payment plans are available for the tuition cost.