children's Choir auditions
The Santa Clarita Children's Choir is open to children in the 1st grade through 12th grade.
Auditions will take place on Monday, September 4th at Valencia United Methodist Church in Valencia, and Saturday, September 9th at TBD. Please email email@example.com for audition and additional information. (Signups will be available soon.) We are in for an amazing season and I would love for you to be a part of it!
Singers will be expected to sing the first verse of "My Country 'Tis Of Thee".
Amadeus Intermediate Singers (treble choir) must demonstrate the ability to:
- Stay focused for an extended period of time
- Sing in tune
- Remember and sing short musical phrases
- Use head voice (high tones)
- Work willingly with the director and with a group of other children
- Read the English language with ease and comprehension
Concert Singers (mixed SATB youth choir) must have the above abilities. Additionally they need:
- Ability to read music and sing simple melodies at sight
- Experience singing in a choir with three or more parts
- Ability to study texts and music in foreign languages independently
- To be comfortable with all the contents of Book One of A Young Singer’s Journey
What happens during the audition?
You and your parent will meet a director(s). Then you will:
- Be asked to talk about your schooling and musical experience
- Be lead through simple warm-ups by the director
- Listen to and repeat some rhythms and musical phrases
- Sing one verse of either “My Country, Tis of Thee” or “America the Beautiful”
- Depending upon age and experience, sing some simple melodies at sight
How should I prepare?
- Learn one verse of one of the above songs
- It is suggested that you get a good night’s rest the night before and be well-hydrated
How do I arrange an audition?
- Visit www.scchildrenschoir.org and click on “Auditions" to find sign-up information
- A private audition time of approximately 5 minutes will be arranged with you
How often will I rehearse?
The choirs rehearse once a week from September through the beginning of June. Rehearsals include:
- voice training
- music theory
- music reading
When and where will I rehearse?
The choirs rehearse September through May at Valencia United Methodist Church.
- Mondays 5:30-6:30pm Mozart Apprentice Singers, Director: Cara Kowalczyk
- Mondays 5:30-7:00pm Amadeus Concert Singers, Director: Angela Hicks
If I am accepted how much will my tuition be?
Tuition for all choirs includes use of music and all rehearsal time. It is currently $350 per year for Concert Singers, $350 for Amadeus Singers and $220 for Mozart Singers. In addition, a SCCC Polo shirt (approximately $30) will need to be purchased for community performances and the Concert Singers will have an additional fee for uniforms (ranging between $40-$80). Payment plans are available for the tuition cost.